Hours of Fun are counting down the days until Christmas by sharing a different Christmas activity each day. Starting on the 13th December with the last post being published on Christmas Eve.
On the 4th day of Christmas my true love gave to me………A set of crackers for the table!
Make your own Christmas crackers
I had always wanted to make crackers for the Christmas dinner table as I thought it would bring a personal touch to the table and they are a lot of fun to make. They do require adult supervision but children can get involved and make the crackers themselves.
If you google ‘ make your own crackers’ you can buy lots of kits that have everything you need to make a set of crackers or you can go for it and gather everything you need yourself and get crafting.
To make 6 crackers
You will need:-
6 x A4 sheets of thin card
6 x jokes, make them up yourself or have a look on the internet or in a joke book
6 x Christmas hats – see below for how to make them yourself
6 x little toys or gifts – head to your local supermarket and check out the party section
2 pieces of Ribbon
Double sided sticky tape or glue
Scissors and a craft knife if you have one, keep it out reach of children
Stickers or toppers
Snappers – check out your local craft shop – Hours of Fun will be selling them next Christmas!
To make the crackers
- Measure 8cm in from each edge and draw a line down the page
- Measure 10cm in from each edge and draw a line down the page
- Draw and cut out a row of diamonds between the 2 lines, making sure your diamonds do not touch – see diagram
A craft knife is a fantastic tool for cutting out the diamonds. Place your paper on something you can score into and using the craft knife cut each diamond out. If using scissors you can fold the paper along the middle of the diamonds and cut through the shapes that way.
- securely stick the snapper to the inside of the cracker using sticky tape. The snapper needs to be central across the length of the cracker
Now its time to roll your cracker
- Place double-sided sticky tape or glue along the inside edge of the length of the cracker and roll your cracker into shape
To make your cracker smaller and to make it stick better, it is best to place double-sided sticky tape to the other long edge, along the outside of the cracker this time.
- Place a piece of ribbon around one end of the cracker, lying it across the diamonds
- Gently tighten the ribbon and the cracker should gather where the diamonds are cut out
- Tie your ribbon in a bow to secure the cracker end
- Through the open end of the cracker pop in your toy, joke and hat
- Using a piece of ribbon repeat the above step for the other end of the cracker
- Decorate your cracker using stickers and toppers
- Place on the dinner table ready for Christmas dinner
To make your own Christmas hat you can use any type of paper, crepe paper is perfect for the job.
- Measure round your head and add two centimeters to the length – divide this figure in two
For this example we have a figure of 15cm.
- On your paper draw two rectangles approx 10cm wide and 15cm long.
- Cut out both rectangles
- Either using a ruler or go for it freehand cut out triangles along one edge of each rectangle – see picture below
- Stick the two rectangles together using glue or sticky tape to create a longer rectangle
- Place it around your head to check the size, then stick the other ends together creating your Christmas cracker hat.
- Leave it as it is or decorate it with stickers
Download the cracker diagram here Make your own Christmas crackers